Tutorial articles and associated code
Basis expansions for nonparaxial fields in 2D (including scattering by circular objects)
- K. Lombardo and M.A. Alonso, "Two-dimensional directional basis for nonparaxial focused fields and its application to scattering," Am. J. Phys. 80, 82-93 (2012).
Tutorial on basis expansions in optics
- M.A. Alonso and N.J. Moore, "Basis expansions for monochromatic field propagation" in Mathematical Optics: Classical, Quantum, and Imaging Methods, (CRC Press, 2013), eds. V. Lakshminarayanan, M.L. Calvo, and T. Alieva, pp. 97-141.
Tutorial on mathematical concepts in optics
- M.A. Alonso, ``Modern Optics,'' The Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics, (Princeton University Press, 2015), ed. Nicholas J. Higham, pp. 673-379.
Tutorials on Wigner functions in optics
- M.A. Alonso, "Wigner functions in optics: describing beams as ray bundles and pulses as particle ensembles," (review article) Adv. Opt. Phot. 3, 272-365 (2011).
- J.C. Petruccelli and M.A. Alonso, ``The Wigner function in optics,'' The Optics Encyclopedia (Wiley VCH, 2015).
- Waves, optical coherence and phase space: a romance of four dimensions. Invited talk at ICCP 2017, the International Conference of Computational Photography, Stanford University, May 12-14, 2017. Requires Mathematica or Wolfram CDF player (download).
- Structured Gaussian beams: ray and wave pictures. Invited talk at Quantum Field Framework for Structured Light Interactions, Banff International Research Station, April 24, 2017.
Educational materials from lectures at ICTP's Preparatory School for Optics
- 2015: Fourier analysis; Waves; Polarization; Geometrical optics; Tutorial on modeling in Mathematica;CDF code
- 2014: Fourier analysis; Fundamentals of signal theory; Introduction to waveguides and fibers; Introduction to nonlinear optics; Tutorial on modeling in Mathematica;
- 2013: Fourier transforms; Paraxial and far field approximations; Resonators and Gaussian optics; Propagation in dielectrics, absorption, dispersion and causality; Nonlinear oOptics;
- 2011: Fourier transforms; Optical interference, scalar diffraction and polarization; Tutorial on modeling in Mathematica;
- 2010: Radiometry and photometry; Geometrical optics and aberrations; Image formation; Basic elements of group theory; Relation between Maxwell's equations, coherence and radiometry;
- 2009: Basics of statistics and coherence theory; Fourier transforms;
- 2008: Diffraction theory, coherence, and geometrical optics; Introduction to optical imaging modalities;
- 2007: Introduction to fibre optics; Second order differential operators and their eigenfunctions; Propagation velocities in dispersive media;
- 2006: Asymptotic techniques and their applications in optics;
Educational events involving members of the group